Quality Improvement and Patient Safety (QIPS)
In 2023, we introduced the longitudinal Anesthesia Quality Improvement and Patient Safety curriculum. This program certifies participants and equips them with the knowledge, skills, and expertise in quality improvement methods and interdisciplinary teamwork to enhance patient care systems. Participants will gain an understanding of the challenges and barriers associated with performance improvement initiatives. We are delighted to offer our residents a valuable opportunity to receive training in collecting and analyzing data related to critical incidents during anesthesia.
The curriculum for the residency program includes a comprehensive focus on quality improvement (QI) and patient safety. In the first year, residents attend 14 one-hour sessions at the Quality Academy, where they learn the basic foundations of QI and how it applies to anesthesia. These sessions are led by experienced Quality Academy Officers.
Quality Academy covers the following topics during their sessions with our interns:
· Change Management with Awareness, Desire, Knowledge, Ability, and Reinforcement (ADKAR)
· Science of Improvement: Systems Theory
· High Reliability Organizations and Leadership
· Facilitation and Effective Meetings
· Project Selection (Defect Surfacing, Charter)
· Tool Time (Fishbone Diagram· Process Mapping
· Value Stream Mapping
· Action Planning and Defining Metrics
· Data (Data Collection, Sources, Dashboards)
· Plan, Do, Study, Act (PDSA)
· Five Whys Concept
· Human Factors
· The Basics of Lean Healthcare
In the second year, residents are hand-picked to participate in specific modules on Quality and Safety provided by the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA). Finally, in the third and fourth years, residents are given the opportunity to drive their own QI projects, with guidance and mentorship from members of the Quality & Safety Department Team.